Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Not So Fun Times

It's 12:33AM.

I can't sleep.

Also, it may have been a few years since I've blogged.

Welcome back, me.

Or maybe not.

Maybe, right now, I just need to write.

People have often told me they like my page, & me, because I keep it real. I don't just talk about the motivation or my healthy diet, but also about the not-so-awesome parts...like when there's NO motivation, or when I want to take my clothes off, clap my hands together & nose dive into the first cake I see.

I'm about to lay another one on you, but before I do, I want it to be crystal clear that my lifestyle, mentality, choices are not - NOT - En Oh Tee - representative of all females in fitness.

So here it is:

I am NOT fun.

I haven't been "fun" in years.

You know those late night beers you sometimes have with your spouse/significant other?  Yea, I don't have those. Or what about those spontaneous baking days where y'all are super cutesy getting messy with cake batter or frosting, which may lead to pre-cake sex? Nope. And those random moments you're out running errands together, happen to get hungry & opt for an ice cream or...pretty much anything else that can come out of a drive thru window!!  Yeaaaa, no.  Oh, but those date nights.  *wink wink*  Surely, I must indulge a bit & share a dessert or at least order something fruity & alcoholic!  Nnnnno, can't say that happens.

Sad story: last week, my husband asked the girls if they wanted to go to Chuck E. Cheese. My youngest said, "we can't until tomowow 'cus today is mom's lo-cawb day".  Haha. Oh that cutie. We plan these things for Sunday when I refeed.  I was admittedly conflicted about this.

& if I don't take food with my in the car to run errands, we literally spend double on gas to get to a place where I can eat grilled chicken & veggies for double what everyone else's meal cost.

& booze!  Oh the booze issue. I mean, me - myself -, I don't need alcohol.  You can find me dancing & chatting up random, cool people WITHOUT it.  I don't need it to get down like James Brown, y'all. But some people are kind of turned off by the lone non-drinker at the table, especially when playing drinking games.  Let me tell you, it's tough to play "Never Have I Ever" without beer.  (Although, I will say this, there's no way I was winning that game anyway.)

Ok, so I don't really "indulge", or "cheat", or "live".

C'mon, you must be exclaiming, there has to be boundaries to your insanity, Judy.

What about days your spouse wakes up & says, "let's stay in bed & cuddle"?  Normally, I stay in bed. For about 10 minutes. 15, maybe.  Then I put my hand on his chest, lean into his ear & romantically say, "it's leg day".

Sometimes, my husband does not feel like working out, which is normal 'cus this life is not HIS life. It's mine. He enjoys it.  The man lifts. But, if it were up to him, we'd hit the gym three, maybe four times a week. I lift 5 days a week with Saturday being my run day.   I mean, I'm not COMPLETELY inconsiderate.  I have agreed to take 1 day off from my regular training every month, but it's not like he can just say "Hey, babe! Wake up! We're going to SPI today!" 'cus -in my mind - I'm thinking, "Yey!!  We hitting chest before or after?"


Spontaneity?  Drunken sex?  Hunger?  NOT ON MY WATCH!

I must admit, I'm a little "extreme". But I feel I have to be. I'm not one of those people that can cheat every weekend & be good. Also, I am not a sexy chubbs!  I have seen sexy chubbs. I am not one of them.

I'm more the type that will spot you.  When lifting together, we joke & make jabs at each other relentlessly.  I will surprise you at work with a protein shake & a note asking, "Do you even lift?"  I will massage where it's sore.  I will help prep meals.  I will help log your reps & weight.  After we use a piece of equipment, you spray, I wipe.

How sweet, I know.

Sure, a lot of people have what's called "balance".  But nothing ever gets 100%. There's priorities & there's 1, 2, 3, etc, not some fairytale scale making sure your job, family, health & money all get 100% of your attention.  You are 1 (100%), then there's everything else & you're divided into smaller percentages (family, 70%, work, 20%, health, 10%).

Clearly, my fitness lifestyle is a priority.  Do I put it above my relationships? Sometimes.

So why am I writing this? Not just so people can dub me selfish & obsessed. But thanks. I'm writing it because I want spouses, specifically, to look at each other today & appreciate what they see.

To the one that wants a fitter lover: That man/wife of yours may be a few pounds overweight but you do enjoy those late night beer conversations, don't you? He/She may not be as fit as you'd like to see them, but that treat y'all share has become a staple on Sunday mornings. Whatever it is....you share something beautiful with another person. Before you wish they change, make sure you know what you're asking for. Are you willing to sacrifice too?

To the one that wants to be fitter: Be prepared to not be "fun" to others sometimes.  Even if all you do is CUT down, you're just not gunna be as cool as you were before.

I, for one, think I'm fun.  I can have a good time.  I'm not a boring person, but I'm not a "normal" person either. & people like normal. I don't, really, but people tend to connect with others like them so I get it.  People want to be understood. They want to not feel judged. They want to feel like they have a common interest with another person. They want to feel accepted for who they are.

I know.....cus I'm kind of a "people" too.

I think people forget that sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment