Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Are Minimalist Shoes For You?

I am a minimalist when it comes to shoes.  I must admit that before I started exercising, I, like most others, bought shoes based solely (no pun intended) based on LOOKS.  Does it look cute/cool?  Do I like the colors? Sad, I know.  But I had no idea what type of shoe I should be buying based on my foot type!  Hell, I didn't know what my foot type was.


My husband has been asking me how I know minimalist shoes are for me and if, perhaps, they are for him too.  I, myself, will not really go into it too much since I am not a qualified to do so and I certainly don't want to be responsible for anyone decision making when it comes to types of shoe but I did want to share some information and links on the subject to further educate.  Once you are educated, you will have to make your own decision.


First link/resource is an article written by Daniel Kraushaar, PT, CSCS from Columbus, Georgia.  VERY well written, thorough, with GREAT illustrations.  Before moving on, I suggest you look at the illustrations (at the very least).  "Finding your running shoe: Matching foot type to shoe type"


The illustrations show you what a flatfoot, normal and high arch look like and whether your foot supinates or pronates.  Good stuff.


Here is another blog/article written on the subject.  Minimalist Shoes: Are They Right For You?  Again, this man is a Doctor.  I am not, which is why I am only sharing these resources/links, not delving into the subject so please educate yourself.   Dr. Evan Osar explains what a minimalist shoe is and how to tell if they'll work for your foot type.  He includes a video which more thoroughly covers what he's explaining so watching is optional.  Good information, though. 


I will borrow the disclaimer he used, though, since I agree with it 100%:


DISCLAIMER: Minimalist-type shoes have gotten a bad rap, in my opinion, because so many individuals go from supportive foot wear or orthotics to minimalist-type shoes without developing any tolerance.


Very true.  Some people, such as myself, have taken a liking to Vibrams, the five-finger shoes.  They are very cool indeed but people really need to take their time getting there.  There are my shoes and they work very well for me.  I absolutely love them and are a step towards Vibrams.


Adidas Rockets


Next, I am looking into some Merrells, which is working with, and using, Vibram "technology".  They look like this:




Again, the decision is yours.  I find that, for me, minimalist shoes are the best.  If you're still not sure, please consult your doctor/podiatrist.  Happy researching!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment